Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dear Bride...







I am all for a trip to a fabulous bridal shop. I really love spending an afternoon sipping champagne with Vera and Claire.... but when it comes to selecting the attire for bridesmaids- I feel it necessary to step outside of the bridal salon. I urge brides to remember this:
-Your bridesmaids are a group of ladies that have been there for you through makeups and breakups, through late nights and early mornings. They have probably covered for you a time or two, and also know all your dirty little secrets...

That being said- why would you request such a loyal confidante to purchase that vanilla dress for your wedding? Give her a little spice and flair, and most of all remember that she, unlike you, is not sporting a duel-income. Thus, it is probably more cost-effective to select a spectacular dress that will look stunning on her from a line that she will actually wear again.
I really love the idea of selecting a fashion-forward dress from a current clothing line... something that will pay for itself in future nights out on the town- (BCBG, Anthropologie) or at least find a line that is flattering and "now" (Thread, JCrew, Melissa Sweet)...
This day IS all about you so remember that this can be a great way to really emphasize that spectacular color scheme that you took so long to choose... or bring in your vintage feel through heirloom broaches and accessories... or even select a graphic print that goes well with your invitations.... keep it YOU without taking away from HER...
Whew... I'm glad we had this little chat (and your maid of honor is as well)...

2 comments:

perfect bound said...

Hello there! Love your new blog! I totally agree about the bridesmaid dress dilemma. I have spent waaay too much time in David's Bridal and will NOT be asking my friends to pick their dresses out there when the time comes. There are just too many other fabulous choices elsewhere.

Oh Happy Blog! said...

Hello- it is so funny to see that someone is actually reading what I have to say... you put these blogs out here really for a personal release, speak in the second person, and really just expect that the comments will never start.... thank you for your kind words (I LOVE your blog and read it often- it was one of the reasons I decided I need to start my own)