Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tag- I'm it...


Alright... so I have been tagged by so many- for several different "share facts about yourself" posts... well the truth is (perhaps this can count as interesting fact #1) I'm not really good at those games. I get a little anxiety-stricken when websites ask for a profile that describes yourself in 500 words or less. I don't do well with first-day get-to-know-you exercises. I believe this stems from the fact that I am somewhat a loner and always have been. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE people. I love social gatherings. However, I prefer to sit back and analyze and be content in my little world. I was the kid that did group projects alone- that preferred to finger paint solo rather than play house with the other kids... ya know? But in the spirit of things, I decided to follow suit with The Preppy Wedding and offer up these interesting facts without provocation.


1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Weeknights I am hot chocolate with the jumbo sized marshmellows made with milk not water... but come Friday- I am on a three-day eggnog binge!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
My stepfather is Lithuanian and thus we have a traditional Lithuanian Christmas Eve Dinner where we exchange all of the wrapped gifts to one another. Santa, on the other hand, does not wrap the gifts. (I'm 23 and the eldest of 5, thus we still do the Santa thing for my youngest brother's sake).... infact, Santa likes to take the gifts out completely and set them up in interesting ways. One year I can remember waking to find that Santa had set up an entire campsite with a pitched tent, sleeping bag and gear, and inside was full of other goodies galore! Good ole Santa!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I have always favored white- something about the colors and the blinking makes me nauseus.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Every year- well my fiance does. Funny story: last year I was stopped at a red light after Christmas Shopping and a couple of children were selling mistletoe for $5. I bought two and brought them home proudly to show my fiance- only to be told that I was the proud owner of an unidentified twig and leaves....

5. When do you put your decorations up?
As soon as the last bit of turkey is out of the fridge- it's time for the tree! I can still remember my grandmother being so anxious (and eccentric) that we always had a massive tree up FOR Thanksgiving...

6. What is your favorite holiday dish:
I love my homemade chocolate chip shortbread. It really isn't a "holiday dish" but I seem to get into a baking frenzie around this time of year!

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
As I mentioned, I am one of 5 kids. We range in age as follows: 23, 22, 21, 20, 10 (yes I know that the youngest is too old to believe but we're keeping it going as long as we can- and my sister is expecting so it doesn't look like Santa will be skipping over our house anytime soon)..... every Christmas Eve- after we have opened all the family gifts, we stay up for hours chatting and bonding as a family... and when we can't hold our eyes open anymore- we nodd off- but every year without fail (admittedly even to this day *blush*) someone wakes up around 4 and drags all of us out of bed to see what's under the tree from "Santa"... it must have been terribly awful for my parents- waiting until 2 to sneak the gifts out there, arrange them- and then be woken just as they doze off...

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I was 3. My parents were teaching me to read. My father thought it would be a great idea to write me a note from Santa. Unfortunately, it was in his handwrighting and I was a pretty sharp little whipper-snapper.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We sure do! All of them less Santa's. I think that this originated because we come from a family of divorces and extended families- so our Christmas Days are stretched really thin. It is nice to be able to slow down and really enjoy Christmas Eve in ONE place- with nowhere to rush off to.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Our Christmas Tree is reflective of so many years in our lives. Both my fiance and I have taken bulbs from our families' tree and added a few of our own. Thus, we have a mix of bulbs hand-made and crafted by my Maciute (Lithuanian Grandmother), knitted by my Nana (Irish grandmother), painted by my fiance's Nina (Chamorro Godmother), and carved from wood by my crafty father's side. I love to take these pieces and mix them with really extravagant pieces- it's our little hi-lo masterpiece in the making.

11. Snow: love it or hate it?
I loved it as a kid. Now I am back here in Florida, so I miss it as an adult.

12. Can you ice skate?
I am wobbly. I always wanted to be a figure skater- however, I am the most clumbsy person that I know...

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I remember the Christmas during my parent's divorce. It was ugly. My mom was left with us and a mortgage and a business that was in debt after it was all over. There was nothing under the tree. My mother was in tears. My little brother was confused as she tried to explain that Santa just hadn't made it to our house yet because the world was soooo very big that he sometimes can't get to every house in one day. I was about 5 and understood. I was disappointed but knew not to show it or my mother would completely loose it. Then there was a knock at the door. It was a marine- dressed in the gloves and all- he was my hero. He delivered present after present "straight from the north pole"... my little brother's eyes lit up. My mother was so thankful. It was the kindest thing anyone has ever done. To this day, I don't think that she or anyone knows who made it happen, but I make sure to sponsor a family each year because of it!

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Family. For sure. Things get really crazy around here for the rest of the year. It is really strange for me, with my siblings all being so close in age- we grew up together and did everything as a unit.... then one day it was like I woke up and realized that we all had our own lives- and now with me getting married and my sister becoming a mom- my brothers about to be engineers and biologist- it all happens so fast. I love the holidays when we can all slow down and feel that warmth and comfort again.

15.What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I love my homemade shortcake... BUT Cheesecake Factory Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake is so very yummy!

16. What tops your tree?
nothing. this is sort of an ongoing debate with us. when I was younger, and my parents had little money- we ALWAYS cut a star from cardboard and covered it in foil and glitter and made the most kitsch topper ever.... and somewhere between them getting better job offers and bigger houses, this tradition remained. Now that I have my own tree, I want to let this go but find myself torn- so for now it is bare.

17. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
I'm a giver. It's a sickness. I get so giddy about the "perfect gift"... I like to get something thoughtful that shows that I listen and understand my recipient

18. What is your favorite Christmas song?
"A Few Of My Favorite Things..." or "So this is Christmas..."

19. What is your favorite Christmas movie?
The Christmas Story. For sure. I like to turn it on for the entire 24 hour marathon they do every year.

20. What would be the best gift you could receive this year?
A new car! Last year, I gave my mustang to my younger brother as a graduation gift so that I could downgrade and save on a payment... while having no payment is nice- and the Vespa is lovely for the neighborhood... I could use something with a little more room!!!

Alright... enough about me... how about you? How do you spend your holidays?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bit about the Marine had me choaked up and teary. Such a bittersweet story. Thanks for sharing. How does one become a sponsor?

Cheers!

Oh Happy Blog! said...

My mother works for a large coorporation that offers a drive every year. She and I each take on a family. We are given the ages and sexes of the children and the items that they want (toys, clothes) and the items that they need (toothbrushes, deoderant), etc... and then given a gift box for each child to fill. Many organizations offer something simular either filling a stocking or simply purchasing a gift and letting them disperse it. If you visit the salvation army dot org website then you will be able to locate a branch in your area. they always offer ways to sponsor needy families- there is nothing more special than giving than giving a child the gift of "hope in the world and humanity"... thanks for stopping in Indigo- may your holidays be merry!

Rashana of THE BRIDAL PARTY said...

Fun post. I'm going to fill in my own blanks over at my blog!